Many women are unaware that they’re pregnant until they enter into the first trimester. But during this time, so much is happening to the mother’s body and to the fetus. Also, pregnancy symptoms can also vary in their intensity, frequency and duration.
A few early symptoms may include:
- Breast tenderness: Breast tenderness and morning sickness are the earliest signs of pregnancy. If you notice any one of these, you should go for a pregnancy test. As early as two weeks, you will notice this because of hormonal changes happening in your body. Your breasts may feel fuller and heavier during this time.
- Bleeding: This is another known early sign of pregnancy. About a quarter of pregnant women experience slight bleeding during the first trimester. This type of bleeding is usually a bit earlier, spottier and lighter in colour than a normal period and doesn’t last as long. Visit your doctor if you notice spots.
- Discharge: Thin and milky discharge is common during this time.
- Tiredness: You might also feel tired.
- Heartburn: Heartburn is another common of the first signs you will notice.
- Cravings: Cravings are another common symptom. Like most other symptoms of pregnancy, these food preferences can be chalked up to hormonal changes – especially in the first trimester, when hormonal changes are the most dramatic.
- Headaches: Early in pregnancy, increased blood circulation caused by hormonal changes may trigger frequent and mild headaches.
- Mood swings: The flood of hormones in your body in early pregnancy can make you unusually emotional hence mood swings also are common, especially in the first trimester.
- Weight gain: Gaining weight during pregnancy is common. You will gain about 1.5 to 3 kgs during the first trimester.
These symptoms aren’t unique to pregnancy. Some can indicate that you’re getting sick or that your period is about to start. To be sure, you should go for a pregnancy test. Pregnancy tests work best if you wait to take them until at least a day or two after you miss your period. Even if the pregnancy test result is negative you should try it again a few days later to be sure.