Parenting is also known as Child Rearing and it is the process of promoting and supporting the child from birth to adulthood in his physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development. Parents should always give importance to the overall development of their children. Lack in any one of the development factors may hinder a child’s growth. Parenting is considered to be good when it involves a great deal of consistency and routine, which as a result gives children a sense of control.
Moving further, let’s talk about good parenting. Good parenting focuses on developing independence in children so that their children never depend on others for anything. Good parenting involves a style that differs from parent to parent and that considers children’s age and stage of development. Good parenting develops a growth mindset in kids rather than a mindset that says that a child’s intelligence is fixed. Good parenting focuses on encouragement, consequences, and cooperation. Good parents prepare their children to become givers, not takers. Parenting differs from parent to parent and that’s the reason good parenting rules may also differ.
According to the best available research, the best parenting style is an authoritative style which is a balance of firmness and nurturance. For more details on parenting styles, read our blog: https://superactivekids.com/what-is-your-style-of-parenting-think-before-you-choose-one/
Tips to be a good parent:
- Be a role model: Be the person you want your child to be. Try not to disrespect your child, always show them positive behavior and attitude. Also, have empathy towards your child’s emotion. Your child will follow you, as we all know that children learn from their parents. So, try to be a good role model.
- Show your love to them through action: Loving your child, simply means giving them hugs, spending time with them and listening to their issues seriously. This will make your child feel closer to you emotionally. And as a result, the child-parent bond will be stronger.
- Talk to your child frequently: The importance of communication is known to all of us. So, always talk to your child and also listen to them carefully. By keeping no communication gap between you and your child, you’ll experience a better relationship with your child and your child will always come to you when there’s a problem.
- Always remember your parenting goal: Try not to deviate from your goal, which is to be good at parenting. Like most of the parents, if you want your child to do well in school, be productive, be responsible and independent, be caring and compassionate, and have a happy, healthy and fulfilling life, then you are a good parent but hold on wait how much time do you spend on working towards these goals? Pay attention to this and try to work on these goals.
- Be consistent with your discipline: Discipline plays a crucial role in every household. The goal of discipline is to help kids choose acceptable behaviors and learn self-control. A common mistake parents make is a failure to implement discipline. You can’t discipline kids for talking back one day and ignore it the next. So, be consistent in what you expect.
- Show that your love is unconditional: As a parent, you’re only responsible for correcting and guiding your kids. But how you express yourself, makes all the difference in how a child receives it. Make sure they know that although you want and expect better next time, your love is there no matter what the situation is.
A word from Super Active Kids:
Parenting is not easy. It is rightly said that raising kids is one of the toughest and most fulfilling jobs in the world. Good parenting is hard work and hard work always pays off when you try hard to achieve it.