Breastfeeding keeps your little one healthy.
But, how is that possible?
Breastfeeding supplies all the necessary nutrients in the proper proportions to the little one. Not only that, but it protects against allergies, sickness, and obesity. The milk also helps the baby protect against diseases such as diabetes and cancer. When it comes to infections, it helps the baby too!
Because of the amazing benefits, it has for the little one, a lot of mothers wonder if the foods that they eat can affect their breast milk.
The short answer is no.
Researchers believe that a mother does not need to maintain a perfect diet in order to give high-quality milk to their little one. A number of studies indicate that the quality of a mother’s diet has very little influence on her milk.
However, this does not mean that mothers should become careless.
What Mothers Should Eat When They’re Breastfeeding?
1. Protein: It is important for mothers to include protein in their diet. Doctors and dietitians suggest mothers include protein-rich foods in their meals on a daily basis.
You can eat such foods:
Eating vegetables is important too! Doctors suggest mothers eat three servings of vegetables on a daily basis so they could keep their bodies healthy.
3. Fruits: Doctors want mothers to increase their fruit intake when they are breastfeeding.
Mothers should eat the following fruits:
- Honeydew melon
- Red or pink grapefruit
4. Whole Grains: Mothers need whole grains in their diet so they can lower their chances of heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers, and other health problems.
Here are some of the whole grains that mothers should consume when they are breastfeeding:
- Brown rice
- Whole-wheat bread
5. Hydrate: Mothers need to hydrate themselves when they are breastfeeding. Remember, breastfeeding can make mothers feel thirsty, which is why it is important to stay hydrated. Dieticians and doctors suggest mothers drink 6 to 8 glasses of water on a daily basis.
Tip: When breastfeeding, you want to sip a glass of water, milk, or unsweetened fruit juice whenever you are feeding your little one.
6. Vitamins And Supplements: Remember, you cannot eat and eat all day long, which is why taking vitamins and supplements is important so you can get the minerals, vitamins, and other nutrients that you cannot take through food.
Did we miss out on anything in the list that we made above? Let us know what we missed out on by leaving a comment in the comments section below!