No doubt, raising a family isn’t always easy. Parents nowadays are busy, and this makes them ignoring their children. There is a lot to do in little time. Today, many kids are overweight because they are eating unhealthy and in excess amounts. That is the only reason, people suffer from a lot of diseases in very early age. Eating unhealthy can give rise to many health issues and obesity is the major one.
It is important to create healthy habits early on. These will help you make smart choices for your family. Children imitate their parents, so it’s important to set a good example. The tips below can help your kids be healthy and happy:
- Eating better: Start the day with a healthy breakfast. It fuels the body and provides energy for the whole day. Prepare a diet plan for your kids. Eat together as a family as often as possible. Teach your pals to take time eating, and chew slowly.
- Add more veggies and fruits: Eat more vegetables and fresh fruits. Tell your kids about the health value of these. Aim for a total of 2 cups of fruit and 2 1/2 cups of vegetables each day in your diet.
- Eat whole grains: The next major addition in the daily should be whole grains. Examples include oats, brown rice, rye, and whole-wheat pasta. Try to eat at least 3 ounces of whole grains each day.
- Drink plenty of water: Teach your kids to make it a habit of drinking more water. Choose water, low-fat or non-fat milk, and low-calorie beverages. Water is very helpful for our body, indeed.
- Move more: Try to get 30 of physical activity each day. Short sessions of movement throughout the day add up. Include physical activity in your daily routine. Walk as a family before or after meals. Make playtime and add fun with your family.
- Limit modern gadgets: Limit the use of a computer, and video game time. Tell your kids about the side effects of using these gadgets. Encourage physical activity instead.
- Eat at home: Eating out can expose children to unhealthy food choices and inappropriate portion sizes. It is said that children who eat at home are more likely to eat fruits and vegetables than children who eat many of their meals at restaurants.
- Cut down sugars: Avoid adding artificial sugar to your diet. Always try to eat natural sugars. Use jaggery instead of sugar. Tell your kids about the health effects of eating excess sugar. Most kids who drink sugar-sweetened beverages will drink an excess of 200 calories a day. These calories are in excess of the daily needs of most children.
A word from SuperActive Kids:
Children often consume more when they eat unhealthy food. Often this food is high in simple carbohydrates (sugar) and fat, which makes them tasty but high in calories. Teach your kids about the bad effects of such foods. Tell them to eat these occasionally but not on a daily basis.